About 3D printing
Quick facts about 3D printing equipment in the Makerspace.
Printer: Makerbot Replicator +
Print bed dimensions / Build Volume:
29.5 L X 19.5 W X 16.5 H CM
[11.6 X 7.6 X 6.5 IN]
9,492 Cubic Centimeters
[573 Cubic Inches]
Type of plastic: PLA (polylactic acid) which is a strong, starch-based plastic.
Plastic color: Varies based on availability
File types accepted: .MAKERBOT .stl or .obj files
Material Diameter: 1.75mm per layer.
Cost: $2.00 for the first hour of print job and $1.00 each hour after
Getting started with Makerbot
How to initiate a 3D printing project
1. Contact the Makerspace staff with your 3D printer request.
2. Discuss your project and confirm that your files will work. Discuss timing and pick-up.
First-time LCC users can print objects for free up to 3 hours of machine time. Cost is $1. for each additional hour. If there is a cost for your project, Makerspace staff will discuss it with you before printing.
Find a Design
- The files needed by the Makerbot 3D printer are .stl files. Only use this type.
- There are lots of readymade files online for simple, beginner 3D projects. Try https://www.thingiverse.com/ which has free user-made designs.
- Thingiverse can have many files for one design, some of which are not necessary. Go to “Thing Files” below the pictures listed of the design and carefully choose the exact files to download. Do not click on “Download All Files” unless you actually want to print everything.
- These files also have pictures listed in the design’s gallery. If you click on the photo of the .stl file in the gallery and then click on “Thingiview” in the top right of the photo, you will get an accurate model of what that piece of the design looks like.
What is 3D printing?
Full Makerbot Replicator instructions are available.